Monday, August 02, 2004

Maddening

Can I just read you the headline from RedSox.com's homepage regarding last night's game against the Twins:
Pedro Martinez fanned eleven and Orlando Cabrera homered in his first at-bat, but his error in the eighth let in the eventual winning run on Sunday.
Check the 14th word in that little paragraph. Error. It means someone on the defense screwed up. In this case, it was the guy that we just acquired specifically for defensive excellence! I'm telling you, the Gods are mocking us for making this trade. I'm a diehard Red Sox fan, totally partisan and totally bent on beating the Yankees and whatever eventual National League challenger, but I'm losing faith quickly in the Red Sox this season. Plus, who knows how long it could take to rebuild a team that could get us to the World Series. I don't care if Cabrera hits 20 home runs in August, the more I think about it the more I think that this whole trade was a really bad idea. Dan O'Shaugnassey of the Boston Globe disagrees:
Thank the baseball god, he's gone. We no longer have to watch Nomar Garciaparra pretend that he cares about the fortunes of the Boston Red Sox. This is a strange story. No one ever played harder, or gave more, to the Boston Red Sox and the citizens of Red Sox Nation than Nomar Garciaparra. He was probably the most popular Sox player since Ted Williams, and rightfully so; no player was more worthy of your applause. But at the same time, no player polluted the clubhouse more than Nomar, and in the end, he was the ultimate non-team guy. He had to go. He was more miserable than any athlete I have ever seen. In the Sox clubhouse, he was as happy as Michael Moore at a Bush family reunion. [...] Had he liked it here, he could have been our DiMaggio. He was that good. But he hated being famous and he hated being a prime-time ballplayer in a region that cares with relentless passion. So now he is gone. It was a great run, but life goes on without Nomar. It hurts. But it was the right thing to do. The Red Sox traded a great player. But they have a chance to be a better team without him.
Granted the O'Shaugnassey has access to a lot more information than I do, has actually been in the holy of holies, the Red Sox clubhouse, and heard the discussions and the behind-the-scenes mutterings. Totally granted. But perfectly rational choice or not, I don't think I'll ever really emotionally accept that it was a great idea to trade him. A good front office, a non-lethal media, and perhaps a more inspirational coach could have changed the atmosphere and made him consider re-signing. A little rest and not as much pressure to get going while still on an injury could have gone a long way... I know this is a pointless endeavor. I know he's gone. I know purely rational minds are rejoicing. I know we got some good defensive strength in return. I know the club atmosphere will change. I know Chicago will benefit from his hitting, and lord knows I'd like to see them beat the Cardinals. I know other leaders will step forward and be proactive. I know our offense can still light a fire under any pitcher in the majors. But I don't know how to deal with losing a player that has been with my team for as long as I've been intelligently following them. For all my intents and purposes, Nomar has always been on the Red Sox. I don't know how to deal with losing a player that has always been a paragon of hard work, dedication, team-play, and creative display of talent. I don't know how the Red Sox will really be the Red Sox without my generation's Ted Williams. I just don't know. Nomar, you will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home