Saturday, December 11, 2004

Tik ta?

I think I just passed my Hindi exam. I'll know by Monday, but I felt pretty good. The last page was just incomprehensible. It was a dialogue between two girls speaking lots and lots of slang and I probably got 2 out of the 4 questions right. It was only maybe 5 percent of the grade, so I'm not that worried about it. I got the big stuff ok. I'm reticent to even post this, because any mention of grades and my mom freaks out, good or bad, so no news is usually the best policy. But I'm done with a semester of an extremely alien language and I can say that I do, actually, understand quite a bit of it. My vocabulary isn't as good as I'd want, but I can communicate pretty effectively most of the time. My listening skills aren't remotely close to what they are in French, but I have crossed the b.s. threshold, where even if I don't totally know what's going on, I can convincingly come across like I do. This, I don't need to tell you, is an important threshold to have crossed, especially for me. I'm undecided as to whether or not I'm going to continue to study Hindi. Part of me thinks I could be better served either by taking more advanced French or starting a new language, either Spanish or Arabic. We shall see. On verra. Hum dekhengue. UPDATE: Officially passed. Got a B overall.

1 Comments:

At 12/13/2004 07:03:00 PM, Blogger Amy McGuirk said...

Congrats B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home